Do you live a ‘LOHAS’ - Lifestyle of Heath and Sustainability?
How do you perceive your lifestyle? Would you say that your lifestyle choices centre around health and sustainability? If so, some might say that you live a Lifestyle of Health and Sustainability (LOHAS). Although LOHAS (pronounced “low-hoss”) may sound a bit unusual, it’s an important marker that defines a group of consumers, all around the world, who live and consumer mindfully – with people, the planet, and personal health at the forefront of their decisions.
The term is based on the work of U.S. author and sociologist, Paul H. Ray, who wrote about and coined the term ‘Cultural Creatives’, which describes a new age of thinkers and consumers. Similarly, LOHAS defines people less on demographics (their age, gender, race, and so forth) and more on how they perceive the world and what they value.
So, what is life all about for you? What do you value?
Many people living a LOHAS have 6 main values when it comes to their lifestyles, choices, and purchasing habits:
- Health and Wellness: Caring for your body, being mindful of what you eat, and staying active.
- Indulgence and Convenience: Being willing to pay more for something that aligns with your values.
- Social Responsibility: Considering the impact of your purchases on the lives of others and choosing to shop with companies that treat people well.
- Ethical Practices: Choosing products that care for people, the environment, and animals, and seeking transparency, traceability, and justice.
- Fair Trade: Supporting products that pay fair wages to workers and are based on fair terms.
- Sustainability: Ensuring a lasting balance between the environment, society, and the economy.
If you take similar pride in purchasing what aligns with your values and worldview, you might be happy to know that you’re not alone. In 2009, the Natural Marketing Institute estimated the LOHAS market was worth $290 billion in the United States alone. We can only imagine that it’s grown tremendously since then! In fact, research is showing that values associated with a LOHAS are becoming increasingly ingrained across the world.
As your values and lifestyle reflect how you live and what you buy, with a LOHAS, you’re more likely to make decisions and buy products that not only serve you but have a positive benefit to other people and the planet, too. This could include choosing organic foods, natural products, alternative medicine, sustainably sourced products, ethical clothing, and energy-efficient cars and appliances. It could mean investing ethically, embracing recycling, practising yoga, going on eco-holidays, supporting fair trade, and everything in between.
At the core of a LOHAS is the drive to ensure a healthy present and future for ourselves, the earth, and the generations to come...
Do you care about your health?
Do you care about the environment and sustainability?
Do you care about ethical business and social responsibility?
Do you make sure that what you buy aligns with your values, even if it costs a little more than the alternative?
If the answer is a ‘yes!’, you probably live a LOHAS. We salute you!